Archeologists are excavating the recently unearthed foundation of a western New York lighthouse believed to be one of the first built along the Lake Erie shore.
Violent storms have eroded the shoreline and exposed the circular stone and brick base of the lighthouse in Dunkirk, about 53 kilometres southwest of Buffalo. The 18-metre-tall lighthouse was built in 1826 to help guide ships to Buffalo and the western terminus of the Erie Canal, which had opened a year earlier.
The tower was taken down in the 1850s and moved to another location nearby. The original foundation was later covered with soil and its exact location remained a mystery until recent storms washed away an adjacent breakwall. Archeologists have unearthed various artifacts, including porcelain plates and pottery from the 19th century.